BY SOFO ARCHON
Gautama the Buddha taught people how they can live happily, in harmony with themselves and others, by becoming mindful of their actions and develop a compassionate attitude to all beings.
Here are some of my most loved quotes from the Buddha, inspiring wisdom and peace. I hope you enjoy them and learn something from each one of them.
1. It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
2. There is no fear for one whose mind is not filled with desires.
3. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
4. One is not called noble who harms living beings. By not harming living beings one is called noble.
5. However many holy words you read, however, many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
7. The mind is everything. What you think you become.
8. Meditate … do not delay, lest you later regret it.
9. You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
11. Give, even if you only have a little.
12. If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.
13. There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.
14. Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
15. Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.
16. Should a seeker not find a companion who is better or equal, let them resolutely pursue a solitary course.
17. Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.
18. Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.
19. Doubt everything. Find your own light.
20. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, suffering follows him as the wheel follows the hoof of the beast that draws the wagon…. If a man speaks or acts with a good thought, happiness follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.
21. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
22. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
23. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
24. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
25. The whole secret of existence is to have no fear.
26. Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun, and the Truth.
27. All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If the mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?
28. It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.
29. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
30. Ardently do today what must be done. Who knows? Tomorrow, death comes.
31. A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless.
32. You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
33. A disciplined mind brings happiness.
34. The one in whom no longer exist the craving and thirst that perpetuate becoming; how could you track that Awakened one, trackless, and of limitless range.
35. To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.
36. You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.
37. You only lose what you cling to.
38. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
39. We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
40. However many holy words you read, however, many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
41. Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
42. Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun, and the Truth.
43. Give, even if you only have a little.
44. Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
45. There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.
46.There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
47. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
48. Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
49. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.
50. Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
Did You Like This Post?
Every week I send out a free newsletter with empowering tips and ideas for over 30,000 readers. Enter your email below to get them delivered right to your inbox. Your information is protected and I never spam.