It is possible to cultivate compassion through meditation to open one’s heart center. The following meditation is a very beautiful tool to cultivate compassion:
1. Sit comfortably and relax.
2. Close your eyes.
3. Take a few deep breaths and relax further.
4. Visualize the following:
-Birds singing on a beautiful blooming tree
-Fish of various colors playing in a pool
-Flowers of many colors in the fields
-Various animals feeding their babies
-Children playing in the fields
-Stars in the midnight sky
5. Take each one for a month and touch them, love them, admire the joy of life in them. Then think that all of these living beings want to enjoy life, want to bring joy and beauty to others. Feel their heartbeats, their desire to live, to be, to enjoy.
6. Think about nations and wish every nation greater joy and success. Bless each of them and send your love and peace to them.
7. Think about one humanity and see humanity as one family. Feel the desire of humanity to liberate itself, to free itself from wars, pains, and sufferings and enjoy life in peace, in love, and in understanding.
8. See all boundaries eliminated and nations fused with each other, forming one global brotherhood.
9. Visualize our solar system as a spaceship with twelve wheels in the great ocean of the Milky Way. See how it is necessary to be in harmony with the great Center of Love and compassion beyond the galaxy.
10. See the Central Sun from Whom emanates everything, and to Whom returns every Spark of Life.
11. Decide to increase your love.
12. Decide to be compassionate to all living forms.
13. Feel your heart filling with joy and bliss.
14. Sing a song of gratitude to the All-pervading Life.
15. Open your eyes, sit quietly for a few moments, and then go about your work.
Source: The Flame of the Heart, by Torkom Saraydarian