Here are some of my favorite eye-opening quotes from the Indian philosopher, yogi, guru, and poet Sri Aurobindo. Contemplate on them and they may change the way you live forever.
1. “When mind is still, then truth gets her chance to be heard in the purity of the silence.”
2. “But defeat is not the end, it is only a gate or a beginning.”
3. “A thought is an arrow shot at the truth; it can hit a point, but not cover the whole target. But the archer is too well satisfied with his success to ask anything farther.”
4. “There are two allied powers in man; knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is so much of the truth seen in a distorted medium as the mind arrives at by groping, wisdom what the eye of divine vision sees in the spirit.”
5. “Rather hang thyself than belong to the horde of successful imitators.”
6. “Very usually, altruism is only the sublimest form of selfishness.”
7. “All disease is a means towards some new joy of health, all evil & pain a tuning of Nature for some more intense bliss & good, all death an opening on widest immortality.”
8. “Only the soul that is naked and unashamed can be pure and innocent.”
9. “To listen to some devout people, one would imagine that God never laughs.”
10. “The whole world yearns after freedom, yet each creature is in love with his chains; this is the first paradox and inextricable knot of our nature.”
11. “A God who cannot smile, could not have created this humorous universe.”
12. “All religions have some truth in them, but none has the whole truth.”
13. “What is God after all? An eternal child playing an eternal game in an eternal garden.”
14. “What men call knowledge, is the reasoned acceptance of false appearances. Wisdom looks behind the veil and sees.”
15. “None can reach heaven who has not passed through hell.”
16. “Hate not the oppressor, for, if he is strong, your hate increases his force of resistance; if he is weak, your hate was needless.”
17. “I was much plagued by Satan, until I found that it was God who was tempting me; then the anguish of him passed out of my soul for ever.”
18. “Delight is the secret. Learn of pure delight and thou shalt learn of God.”
19. “When thou callest another a fool, as thou must, sometimes, yet do not forget that thou thyself hast been the supreme fool in humanity.”
20. “Our actual enemy is not any force exterior to ourselves, but our own crying weaknesses, our cowardice, our selfishness, our hypocrisy, our purblind sentimentalism.”
21. “Live within; be not shaken by outward happenings.”
22. “There is no mortality. It is only the Immortal who can die; the mortal could neither be born nor perish. There is nothing finite. It is only the Infinite who can make for Himself limits; the finite can have no beginning nor end, for the very act of conceiving its beginning and end declares its infinity.”
23. “Others boast of their love for God. My boast is that I did not love God; it was He who loved me and sought me out and forced me to belong to Him.”
24. “True knowledge is not attained by thinking. It is what you are; it is what you become.”
25. “There is nothing mind can do that cannot be better done in the mind’s immobility and thought-free stillness.”
26. “Late, I learned that when reason died, then Wisdom was born; before that liberation, I had only knowledge.”
If you appreciate what you read here, consider supporting my work.
Did you like this post?
Every week I send out a newsletter (or two) with mind-expanding articles for readers. Subscribe to get them delivered right to your inbox for free. Your information is protected and I never spam.